A Healthier Hot Cross Bun Recipe
This healthier hot cross bun recipe is packed full of mixed spice, delicious gooey dates and is gluten-free, let me tell you, there is nothing quite like the smell of freshly baked hot cross buns coming out of the oven. It is nearly enough to make you forget about our current COVID-19 situation we are all going through... (nearly!).
1 cup brown rice flour
½ cup arrowroot flour
½ cup buckwheat
2 cups gluten free flour
Remaining Ingredients for bun mix
1 active sachet of gluten free bakers yeast*
2 tablespoons rice malt syrup
1 cup warmed nut milk of choice (or hemp)
5 medjool dates, (diced & soaked in warm water for 5 mins)
Pinch Himalayan sea salt
1 heaped tablespoon maca
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon nutmeg
½ teaspoon cardamom
¼ teaspoon ground clove
¼ cup coconut oil
½ cup rice flour
2-3 tablespoon water
1 tablespoon rice malt syrup
¼ cup water
- On the stove, warm the milk to a tepid temperature (you should be able to put your finger in the water and for it to be a similar temperature)
- Remove from the stove and tear in the yeast sachet, and drizzle in rice malt syrup and stir and leave to bubble for at least 10 mins
- While this is bubbling away, pour ¼ cup boiling water over your chopped Medjool dates and let them steep. Pop them in a food processor so you almost get a nice chunk of date in every bite.
- In a large bowl, sieve all of the dry ingredients and then add the yeast milk & date bits slowly. Whisk until a dough consistency forms (add a little more water or flour if needed)
- Leave in a clean bowl with a tea towel over it for 30-40 mins.
Meanwhile, preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius & grease a baking tray with coconut oil
- Dust a clean surface with desired flour (I used rice flour)
- Roll out and portion into 6-10 buns (depending on how big you want them!)
- Shape them and pop them closely together in the baking tray.
- Cover again with a tea towel and leave for 10 more mins
- To make the crosses mix the flour and water in a bowl until a paste is formed then pop into a piping bag.
- Bake in oven for 20-25 minutes until nice and golden
To make life easier create the cross by using the handle end of a teaspoon, create a rivet for the cross mixture, then pipe down the path.
Glaze the buns immediately.